SQL Server 2008 Spatial: Management Studio Express

So I figured it was time to get SQL Server 2008 Spatial up and running on my machine.  After installing a few pre-requisites (Windows PowerShell, MS Installer 4.5, etc) I was able to upgrade my current SQL Server 2005 Express, to SQL Server 2008 Express.

The install went fairly smoothly with the expcetion of not installing the SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE).  After a quick Google search it was apparent this was a common problem, and you simply needed to re-run the install and choose to install the Management Tools - Basic (which btw, I did not recall seeing during the original upgrade, so I'm not sure if this is by design or not?)

Once SSMSE was installed I fired up Map 2009, and Bulk Copied some data from a previous SQL Server Schema (non-spatial), and was able to create a non FDO schema and dumped some data into it.

I was pleasantly surprised whn I popped back into SSMSE and found the Spatial Results tab on one of the tables I selected.  This tab provides a nice graphic display of the spatial data, including tooltips, labels, and a zoom slider.  Not Bad...


Take Care,
Warren 
AU in 40 days

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ArcGIS: Packaging error - General function failure

More ArcGIS Woes with 'Special' Characters...

ArcGIS Collector: Update Error Code 1006